Thursday, August 17, 2006

Tracking Software

There used to be a time when I had to work 9 to 5 in a nasty office. I pity you guys who still have to do that, but I'm well out of it with no looking back. Because I hated the job so much I used to just sit there abd surf the Internet whenever the boss wasn't standing over my shoulder. They weren't too tech savvy back then, so the only way they could tell if people were on the Internet was by standing behind the screen.
Of course, they claimed to have tracking software installed. They said they kept tabs on everyone's web use, but we knew it wasn't true. If they actually had trackers working then I would have lost my job years ago. They surely wouldn't keep paying me for the - what? - two hours of hard work I did every day, would they?
One day they actually decided to invest in tracking software. We call that day Black Monday. On that daya bunch of us were dragged into the boss' office and bawled out for an hour. One of us was logged as spending 5 hours on a webmaster's forum. He was given a written warning and left within a week. Fortunately I'd only apent an hour or so on the net that day, so I was let off with a slap on the wrist.
From then on we were kept on a tight leash. A lot of sites were blocked and we were forced to knuckle down and actually do some work. Productivity shot up, of course, without the distraction of the Internet.
Now, of course, I look back and realise it was a good idea. Tracking software will obviously give the boss a clear idea of who isn't doing their job. If I ran my own office (well, I do, but if I had any employees) I'd be a mug not to install tracking software. Anyway, there's a company named SpecterSoft - who describe themselves as worldwide leaders in the field - selling tracking software. If you run an office and want to keep tabs on what the underlings are doing all day I'd advise that you take a look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counter